Thursday, January 8, 2009

Time.....


Do you remember the Chambers Brothers song "Time has come today"? It ends with an almost chant-like..."Time"...."Time".....

That's all that keeps going through my head lately. Just never enough time. When I was home with the kids when they were little, we got so-o-o much done! The fun stuff: baking, cooking, walks, playtime, crafts; and the not so fun stuff: laundry, dishes, cleaning. But we got it done. Then, after heading back to work, what do we do- add in MORE stuff to do. Do we take anything away? Not really- just replace it with different stuff. Playtime, walks, & crafts become sports, taxi time, and 4H. Oh- and work time.... Somehow we're supposed to fit that in too!

Any way... this leads into the reason nothings really been updated. I figure (realistically) I'll be lucky to get things updated monthly. By the time I sit down and try to think, I'm out for the night! I "HAVE" become my mother! ;) We used to tease her when we were in high school. We'd sit down for a girls night of Scrabble- and she'd doze off while she was waiting for my sister and I to take our turns. We'd finish up and have to wake her up for her turn. Now I get it....

So what have we been up to? Where to start...

I made a trip in December to see Jim & Ann Beebe. Haven't been down there since January '08 when I picked up Lola, Bramble and Maggie. Jim hadn't been doing so well then and I didn't get a chance to meet him. This time he was much better and we had a nice visit. I also took Lola down so they could see her. However, we had an ulterior motive for the trip- Honey was in heat and I had talked to Ann about breeding her to Sparky. So the deed was done in about 10 minutes....And then all Honey wanted to do was play. That's my girl! So, it's been a month and we're pretty sure she's having puppies. She's a lot like her mom- she hides it well. So a couple more weeks we'll take the xray and see how many pups we can expect.

Lola has really been coming into her own this winter. Her main job is to keep the sheep off the fence- and she takes it to heart! They move for her when they won't move for anyone/anything else. She has the most versatile bark- high yappy pitch when excited or just starting to work, deep lower bark to get the ewes' attention, and a very throaty bark that makes even the most tenacious ewe jump out of the way! We've been working very hard on understanding that she only uses that last bark (and grip) on the big ewes and only when we really NEED to. The babies are a little confusing for her. She really wants to boss them around, and they are oblivious to her demands. They're used to following us around the yard (and into the garage).
So she's had to learn that babies are special. That's Lola and one of her buddies pictured.


Been trying to sort/declutter/destash the house. Needed to go through Roger's mom's things; we had too many stored boxes of clothes the girls have outgrown, too many sewing supplies (no- REALLY- I do), etc. Haven't even had a chance to start going through fleeces from this year yet. But I did manage to clear out 7 boxes of clothes and sell the rest of my aquatic supplies, so that made space in the workroom. Hopefully in another week or so, I can get going on skirting those. I bought back an old medium sized loom from a friend of mine (that's a whole "nother" entry) and was lucky enough to find a large Kessenich loom this fall dirt cheap, so I'd like to get started on those.

And right now, I've been working with NESR on getting a couple of ES boys pulled from a shelter. NESR has their hands full with the Montana situation (another post...) so they really didn't need this too. But I just happened to be doing a search for all things ES and happened upon a Petfinder link. I know I should never look, but.... When I saw the picture for the link- I knew that the dog's face was familiar. Sure enough, it was Melissa Crislip's Badger. For those that don't know, Melissa had some "small" strokes (is there such a thing???) and was hospitalized. We don't know the details, but Badger was surrendered to the shelter right before Christmas. Long story short, I contacted the shelter, Lynda McCall (his breeder), and NESR, and Badger is getting pulled this weekend. We'll be road-tripping this weekend to get him to his new home and also get another ESy pup into foster.

I guess we just have to make the most of what time we have. I think I'm getting good at it...

No comments: